Jerry Sullivan is the founder of SullivanSaysSoCal.com, a leading source of news analysis and commentary for the Los Angeles and Orange County areas.
He started SullivanSaysSoCal in October 2018 after serving as editor of the Los Angeles Business Journal for nearly two years and spending the previous five years in the same role at the Orange County Business Journal.
Sullivan founded the Los Angeles Garment & Citizen, which served neighborhoods throughout Downtown Los Angeles and surrounding districts from 2000 to 2010. The publication’s archives, which offer a unique point of view on a crucial chapter of LA’s history, were added in September 2019 to the collection of the prestigious Huntington Library.
Sullivan also has edited California Apparel News, Pacific Textile News and World Trade Magazine.
Prior experience as a reporter includes working the crime, sports and business beats for weekly and daily newspapers in Southern California.
Sullivan is a native of Chicago, and a graduate of Marquette University in Milwaukee, WI.
He can be reached at [email protected]
Professional and Community Honors
- The farewell column in the Los Angeles Garment & Citizen was submitted into Congressional Record as part of a tribute by U.S. Rep. Lucille Roybal-Allard in honor of the publication’s service to community (“What Worked,” issue of July 23, 2010).
- The Garment & Citizen’s unique nature and ground-breaking coverage was featured in the Los Angeles Times’ (“A Newspaper Asks Whether Taxes Are Applied to Golf Courses in a Fair Way,” issue of Jan. 19, 2010).
- Delivered a commencement speech based on this column to the graduating class of the Los Angeles Police Academy at the invitation of Chief William Bratton (December 2008).
- Was the annual “City View” honoree of Angelus Plaza Senior Activity Center for Garment & Citizen’s contributions to community (2008).
- Was 1st Place honoree for Editorial Comment for weekly publications with circulation of 4,301-11,000 (2007 California Newspaper Publishers Association’s annual Better Newspapers Contest).
- Los Angeles Garment & Citizen was named the best source for news in Downtown Los Angeles in LA Weekly’s “Best of LA” issue (Oct. 6, 2006).
- Was the annual honoree of California Design College for contributions to the Los Angeles apparel industry and industry-related education as editor of California Apparel News (2000).
- Received the Western Publications Association Maggie Award for World Trade Magazine as Best Business & Financial Periodical (1996).
- Recognized as the “Best Local Column” by the Society of Professional Journalists Inland Chapter for a weekly column in the Inland Valley Daily Bulletin (1991).